Sunday, August 16, 2009

Groom Style Tip #8: Mad About HK Wedding Mags

So, the last few weeks while I've been visiting my family in Hong Kong, I've been flipping through some local wedding magazines. Here are some pages ripped from my favorite, Cosmopolitan Bride.

Three notes:

First, I apologize for the quality of the images as I am working with less technology (no real PhotoShop) at my disposal (I should really convince my parents to invest in the program).

Second, the prices you see below are in Hong Kong dollars. I don't want anyone to freak out because a pair of YSL shoes cost $5,200. Don't worry. Just divide by 7.8...

Third, pardon the small typo below. When Cosmo Bride says, "Gloom's Style," I think they really mean "Groom's Style."

Hong Kong weddings tend to be more formal occasions, thus grooms like to wear full-on tuxes to weddings. It's also not uncommon to have the groom change outfits 2, 3, 5 or more times during the 12-course Chinese wedding banquet. This magazine recommends, "While grooms tend to choose more popular colors, such as black, white and gray...they can use boutonnieres, bow ties and cummerbunds to add a hint of color." Personally, I really like the chic, monochromatic look (to the left) myself. Very modern.


Hong Kong guys are very serious about their accessories. They like bracelets, watches, rings... you name it. They also like to wear things with more flair to them. Take a look at the angles on the rings above; they're a bit rocker-ish. But, they still have a beautiful, yet very masculine quality to them.

Hong Kong guys also love their shoes (brand name ones, especially). Quality dress shoes can definitely put a dent in your budget, but your groom won't be wearing them every day. So, they will last you for many years to come, making the investment seem somewhat reasonable. I particularly like the Louis Vuitton dress boot on the lower right side. It's perforated all around, giving it a slightly textured touch.

Need help styling your groom? E-mail us at weddings@9tailors.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment